Regular Chiropractic Care
Water Intake and Supplement Support
Heart Rate Training
Why Pharmaceutical Supplements?
Weight Loss Math
Pregnancy and Chiropractic Care
Family Chiropractic Care
Auto Insurance Reform and Your Chiropractic
Lifestyle Changes for a Stronger Immune System
Calcium Intake Vs. Uptake
Strengthening Your Immune System
Medications Depleting Your Nutrition
5 Tips to Stay Healthy During the Cold and Flu Season
1.) Get Adjusted!
2.) Take Sago C, Vitamin D, Viracid and Zinc. These three supplements will enhance and support your immune system.
3.) Drink plenty of water.
4.) Get enough sleep.
5.) If you are sick, avoid things that breed bacteria like sugars or increase mucus like milk products.
5 Tips to Help You During This Allergy Season
1.) Get Adjusted
2.) If your allergies are seasonal or all year long, you can protect yourself with Sinatrol and/or Natural D-Hist.
3.) Drink plenty of water.
4.) Keep your furnace/AC filter clean.
5.) Try using a diffuser at night and a neti pot to decrease your congestion.
Read a patients story on chiropractic helping his sinus issue and how the supplement,
Natural D-Hist, helps a patient with her seasonal allergies.
5 Keys to Boosting Your Health and Vitality
1.) Get adjusted to maintain optimal function and communication between the brain and body.
2.) Our body has a normal maintenance schedule. Get checked the day you’re born and once a month for life.
3.) Is your family getting checked for subluxations to maintain their spine?
4.) Our spine was designed to protect the most important system in our body, our nervous system.
5.) Maintaining your spine and nervous system by getting adjusted regularly allows your body to heal itself.
The River of Life
- Why does a river still flow in below freezing temperatures? Movement.
- When the Movement of molecules move fast, they become hot and turn into steam. When the molecules are cold, they slow down and turn to ice.
- Movement is why a river flows at 50 degrees below zero and doesn’t freeze.
- Your spine is very similar. When the spinal bones have movement, they protect the flow of life through the nerves to every part of your body. When that movement slows down or stops (Subluxation), the flow of life through your nerves slows down or freezes. This can lead to sickness or disease.
- Chiropractic keeps your “River of Life” flowing towards optimal health… naturally.
Read about our patient's one year old daughter suffering with "Grade 5" Vesicoureteral Reflux and how she feels chiropractic helped heal her.
The Safety Pin and Spinal Subluxations
One of the simplest ways to understand Chiropractic is to look at a safety pin.
The large end represents your brain and the smaller end represents a body part (ie. your stomach or lungs).
One thin piece of metal represents the messages going from the brain. The other thin piece of metal represents the message from your body back to the brain. We all know that the brain communicates to every part of the body. As long as that message gets through freely that body part will work.
There's a problem with safety pins!
Even though the safety pins can hold a lot, they occasionally open up. When that happens, someone eventually gets stuck!
Your nervous system works a lot like that safety pin. As long as the connection is intact, the brain controls and coordinates every function in the body. Unfortunately, like that safety pin that message can be broken or interrupted.
In our bodies loss of that full connection can be devastating.
This loss of full connection is called a subluxation and can be caused by many everyday events. Some of the more obvious causes of subluxation are car accidents, slip and falls, lifting to heavy. Many other causes of subluxation are not so obvious, like stress, poor posture, sitting for long periods of time, and of course the birth process itself.
Safety pins are great when they work!
The payoff is obvious when the open safety pin its fixed… there are no sharpen points to stick you, the safe pin is strong, and it holds things together. The pay off in your body is also obvious. When a connection and communication from the brain to every part of your body is reestablished, there are no sick body parts to stick you, the body is strong, and it holds your life together.
Read different patient's experience on how when once properly aligned again with
chiropractic adjustments, they were able to get back to feeling like their selves again.
Getting the Most Out Of Your Adjustment
After your adjustment from Dr. Shoe or Dr. Alex, what can you do to prolong the benefits?
Tractioning in the office or at home will help bring that natural 40-degree curve in your neck. This helps balance the weight of your skull on your spine and evenly distributes the load across the curve.
Putting ice on your injury will reduce the swelling and help aid in the healing process. We do not suggest using heat due to the chance it may increase inflammation. We recommend 20 minutes of ice as often as every 2 hours.
We have cervical, lower back and safe lifting exercises the doctor will give you. They will help you strengthen these areas to prevent further injury.
Getting a massage will reduce the muscle tension which will help stabilize and support your adjustment. Getting a massage on a regular basis will keep the muscle tissue looser, help with pain management and help you gain range of motion.
We recommend several supplements for joint and spinal health like Glucosamine Sulfate, Collagen, Chondro-flx and Fish Oil. These all help with rebuilding and restoring joint health and increasing lubrication.
Good Health On a Dime
- The weight of a dime, 8 - 10 mm of hg. That’s all it takes to drain normal nerve transmission to a trickle.
If these impulses are communicating vital instructions like “how your immune system responds to pre-cancerous lesions” or “how many times your heart needs to beat”.
- You want those messages traveling at the highest possible speeds with NO interference from a subluxation.
- That’s why it’s important to keep your spine in proper alignment with chiropractic care. So, your good health doesn’t stop on a dime!
Chiropractic Improving Digestive Issues
Whether you’re suffering from chronic heartburn, diarrhea, constipation, Irritable Bowel Syndrome or another digestive problems, you’ve probably spent more than your fair share on money on over-the-counter and prescription medications to alleviate your symptoms. While these drugs may provide symptom relief, they do not treat the underlying cause of your digestive issues, and thus, you are essentially in a never-ending cycle of trying to treat your problem with no cure.
Studies show that chiropractic manipulation of the spine and joints can have vast improvements on one’s digestive system, and issues related to digestion.
Chiropractic care is extremely effective at treating issues related to digestion. Believe it or not, your digestive system is entirely linked to your nervous system, and your nervous system has complete control over various aspects of your digestive function. For example, the nerves in the thoracic and lumbar regions of your spine control the pace at which your body digests food. If any of the numerous nerves in your spine are functioning improperly, problems with digestion can easily arise.
Subluxation minor to severe misalignments in your spine that interfere with these nerves’ ability to properly control digestion. When the spine is aligned improperly, stress and strain are put on the nerves, leaving them incapable of sending out the necessary signals to your digestive organs that trigger them to work properly. As a result, ailments such as chronic acid reflux, upset stomach and constipation develop. Until the interference in your nervous system is corrected, these conditions will continue to ail you.
A chiropractor can safely, gently and non-invasively correct subluxations in your spine through chiropractic manipulation. This involves the chiropractor using her hands to gently guide your vertebrae back into their proper places. This will take the strain off of your nervous system and allow it to function at its optimum level once more, thus, helping your digestive issues subside. After a few visits to a chiropractor, you may find that your symptoms are completely gone and you are no longer relying on medications to function.
Chiropractic manipulation isn’t just effective at treating digestive issues in adults. Studies have shown that this form of medicine is particularly effective at relieving digestive issues in infants, primarily those suffering from constipation and infrequent bowel movements.
Chiropractic care is safer than many medications often taken or prescribed for digestive disturbances. For example, long-term use of laxatives can cause a host of problems to develop and can wreak havoc on your digestive system. Many people suffering from digestive problems have found almost immediate relief from their conditions after seeing a chiropractor for an adjustment.
Read a patient's experience on how chiropractic adjustments helped relieve their digestive issues.
There are several types of headaches such as tension, migraine, cluster and sinus to name a few. Many people first reach for over the counter drugs to help, but they are merely masking the pain and not solving the underlying issue.
A natural solution to headaches is chiropractic care. A subluxation of the atlas or axis vertebrae can put pressure on your brain stem and cause headaches or migraines. Also, we will work to restore the natural curve in your neck and proper alignment of the vertebrae through chiropractic adjustments and postural work. This will eliminate the interference in the nervous system and remove the cause of the headaches not just mask the symptoms.
Along with the adjustments, Dr. Shoe and Dr. Alex have a few more suggestions to help reduce your headache pain.
Take a roll of paper towel, place one of our ice packs on top of the roll and place it under your neck. ** Make sure the ice pack is covered with a piece of paper towel, the ice pack may get too cold and irritate your skin.
Use our cervical exercises you were given in your New Patient folder you when you first started care to help stretch your neck.
Cervical traction – in office and eventually at home will help restore and maintain the natural curve in your neck to allow for proper balance of the weight of your head on your spine.
If you are in a bind and cannot get in for your adjustment, rather than reaching for the bottle of aspirin. Try the supplement Salizain which is a natural form of aspirin that is not hard on your organs like most over the counter pain killers.
TMJ and Chiropractic
What is TMJ? TMJ stands for the temporomandibular joint. It’s an important joint formed by your skull and your jaw bone and involves the muscles needed for chewing. Your TMJ acts like a sliding hinge and connects your jaw bone to your skull. It is responsible for opening and closing your mouth, allowing the jaw to move smoothly up and down and side to side, and enables you to talk, chew, and yawn.
Chiropractic adjustments are a conservative method of treating TMJ pain and don't require the use of drugs or surgery like typical treatments.
Dr. Shoe and Dr. Alex will check your TMJ and atlas vertebrae for subluxations. Within the TMJ is a small disc that can become misshapen due to a subluxation of the TMJ. When the jaw is out of its normal alignment it will not open and close smoothly and may pop or click. Adjusting the TMJ and getting it back in to its normal alignment will slowly reshape the disc and allow the joint to function as it should. The adjustment will not only help resolve the pain, but it will help prevent TMJ pain from returning.
To assist with your adjustment a good exercise to start at home is ice therapy on the TMJ. Take a dixie cup and fill it with water and put it in the freezer. You can massage the TMJ with the ice by slowly peeling away the wax cup and massaging the ice into the TMJ muscles and really work the areas that are tender or have trigger points. This will not only help with pain management between adjustments but will also loosen the muscles to help the adjustment hold longer.
Chiropractic and Plantar Fasciitis
- Plantar Fasciitis typically causes a stabbing pain in the bottom of your foot near the heel and is caused by inflammation or tears to the long, flat ligament along the bottom of the foot, called the plantar fascia and also in the achilles tendon just above the heel. There are certain risk factors associated with this condition, most likely occurring for individuals between the ages of 40-60. If ignored, it can lead to more serious long-term problems than just foot pain, such as chronic pain and possible knee, hip, or back issues and worse yet a torn achilles tendon.
- One of the problems with Plantar Fasciitis is that it causes the ligaments and tendons in the foot to be inflamed and shorten. As you rest at night your body heals and if your foot is flexed down like it normally is those soft tissues start to heal in the shortened length. So, when you stand up in the morning you re-tear those tissues and they cannot heal completely.
- Dr. Shoemaker and Dr. Alex can check the alignment of the foot. Proper alignment helps take the stress off the ligament, which will allow it to relax. They will also coach you on the proper devices and icing techniques for home therapy to allow the foot to start healing in the lengthened position which will allow you to wake up each day without re-tearing and re-injuring your foot each day.
- Not only will Dr. Shoemaker and Dr. Alex help manage the immediate pain, but their protocols with help teach you what to do to not further your injury. Keeping the spine well adjusted, allows for more effective communication between the brain and the rest of the body. This will minimize your pain and any abnormal postures from having plantar Fasciitis.
Kids Need Adjustments Too!
- To promote proper growth and development and to limit any early health challenges such as issues with nursing and even reflux.
- To allow a child’s nervous system and spine to grow optimally and without interference. To reduce the occurrence and severity of issues like ear infections, bed wetting, asthma and allergies.
- To improve a child’s immune system and digestive health and to help eliminate colic and constipation.
- To encourage nerve and brain development. To promote proper perception and awareness minimizing the occurrence of developmental disorders, such as ADHD, Sensory Integration Disorder and others.
- To be proactive about your child’s overall health and well-being which will support them through colds and infections and allow them to reach their optimal potential.
Read patient's stories on how they feel chiropractic has helped their children.
Adjusting Knee Pain
- Not only will knee pain prevent you from doing your normal day to day activities, but it can also throw the rest of your body’s alignment off. Our ankles, knees and hips are a kinetic chain where one can affect the others.
- Did you know that the knees can get subluxated just like your spine? The doctors can adjust your knee to correct any misalignment's.
- With any acute pain, start with icing and at your next adjustment bring it to Dr. Shoe’s or Dr. Alex’s attention. The doctors may also suggest taking Glucosamine Sulfate, Chondro-Flx and/or CollaGEN supplements to help the soft tissues heal.
- A simple misstep or stumble can be enough to subluxate your lower extremities or pelvis which will affect the rest of your spine.
- A poor foundation can lead to knee pain, so the next time you have knee pain look at your shoes. Your shoes may look good on the outside, but the soles can wear out sooner then the tread. Dr. Shoe or Dr. Alex can help you determine if your shoes need to be replaced.
Read a patients story on how her leg and knee pain was relieved through chiropractic care.